Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tough decision

Well, this last illness scared me. I've lost 30 pounds in my 5 months in Peru and no longer feel I have the physical reserves needed to continue Peace Corps service. I am aware that my ability to rebound is significantly different from the younger volunteers. I have begun to dread more illness and know that they are inevitable in the challenging living circumstances.

So it is with a great deal of regret and sadness that I have made the decision to return to the United States. I'll be resting for about a week before returning to La Cruz to say my goodbyes and pack. Then on to Lima for Peace Corps final processes and home to Madison.

I fully expected to serve 2 years. I'd like to have given back to the community a small measure of the love and support I received from the people. I had projects lined up that would have been quite satisfying to bring to fruition. I'd like to travel in Peru and see more of it's incredible diversity. I've made great friends who I'll miss dearly.

Ryan asked me last night if I regretted coming. No,not for a moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara, I'm so sorry to hear of your illness. I know how much that can bring you down and take away all your motivation. I can only imagine what a tough decision it was for you to come home. I know from your blog entries that you have already done much more than you could've imagined yourself capable of, and you will always have that going forward. I'm glad to be seeing you again sooner than expected!
Love,
Sara

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick and that the illness has interfered with your Job Corps work. At least there is a beautiful and bright side to all of your traveling and labor in Peru. Just to mention a few things, you accomplished being with the Job Corps. Helped a lot of people, contributed to their [Peruvians] community as well as their country, you learned Spanish, got immersed in a new culture, you made lots of new friends and have another family over there which is very helpful if you decide to go back on your own.

I mean, you got a lot out of this whole adventure! I'm very proud of you Tía Sara and I know that you made a humongous impact in that small community.

Get well soon,
Shawn

Susie said...

All I can say is that you must feel very, very ill to have closed the door on this lifelong dream and I commend you for the courage to take care of yourself. I know one little trouper who will be very glad to have his grandma home...and just think of the spanish you'll now be able to teach him. I am sad for you and proud of you for making the decision to protect your long-term health.

odile said...

Hi Sara,
I am sorry that you are sick. I hope you feel better soon. I know it is hard to give up on anything and especially give up on a dream that you have had for so long. Sometimes tho, we have to yield to our needs and our bodies. You can ask Susie about that with her shingles.
When you get back to the USA, come recover and visit Arizona. We will love to have you here.
Odile

Greg said...

Sara,

I'm really sorry that things ended for you like this. It's been a fun tide reading your blog and experiencing the things you've gone through in Peru vicariously. I'm sure that you left a mark there and I hope that in spite of the illness that the mark it left on you was positive.

Greg

Julia said...

I am so sorry Sara!
You have many open arms here in Madison for you to return too.
xxoo

Arlene said...

Hi Sara, Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you can come to Edwards wedding and the cabin and rest.
Arlene