Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Getting ready to fly home

I flew to Lima yesterday and am staying at the home of Kathleen and Leo. Kathleen is training center director for Peace Corps here and most generous with her support. I´m very weak and tired so I expect to mostly rest until my friends, Robyn, Sarah and Michael get my things packed in La Cruz and transported to Lima this weekend. Then I´ll be on a plane home by Monday at the latest.

I´m quite disappointed not to be fulfilling the 2 years here. I shed tears telling the midwife that I won´t be returning to La Cruz as we had great plans to develop a prenatal education program for the clinic there. However, all the prenatal materials sent by my friends in the US will be hers to use now. She especially loved Mientras Espera, the Spanish prenatal book. More tears saying goodbye to my La Cruz family and my Tumbes Peace Corps friends. Robyn and Sarah are the women you want to be with at the beach, in the campo and about any other adventure!

I wouldn´t have missed it for anything. I would never have known how far I could stretch, would never have met such great people and seen first hand how difficult life is in a developing country.

Sara

Sara

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just caught up with all your blog. it made for great reading. I am sorry I didn't know you had one prior to this! So sorry you had to leave your adventure so soon. Sarah Rowe

prdentist1 said...

I'm thinking of you and hope for a full recovery once you are here. Much love, Jose

Unknown said...

Oh Sara--I know you couldn't have made this decision easily. You will always know that you followed your dream. I hope you feel better soon and look forward to seeing you again in Madison. Take care, Regina