Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rough patch in Peru

Well, this PC volunteer has indeed hit a rough patch. I’ve had a couple of illnesses that have laid me low and necessitated me going to a city 5 hours south of my site for medical care and rest. No weird tropical diseases, nothing I won’t bounce back from but tough.

Right now I am staying in a hostel, eating Jello and sipping Gatorade. I may never want to see Gatorade again! And I do hope never to have another combi ride like the one that brought me here. I’ll spare you the details except for my gratitude to a woman on the ride down. My host brother had helped me get to the combi and saw that I had a window seat. As passengers were getting on, they started grumbling about the gringa having the window seat. One woman piped up and said, “The gringa is sick, she’s nauseated, she needs the window”. Bless that woman.

Actually, I have a lot to be grateful for including the patient Peace Corps docs who answer the phone whenever I call and arranges for good care. The my PC friends who call to check on me, the volunteers here in Piura who have brought me food and drink and all the support from home.

Needless to say, I’m discouraged waiting for energy and appetite to rebound.

Rats
Sarita

5 comments:

Julia said...

Oh Sara... I have been worried about you. Ken told me you were ill. It does sound like you are on the road to recovery though. Thank goodness... take care of yourself and just rest as much as you need and can.
much love
xxoo

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better! On the bright side, you're the "Peace Corps Blog of the Day" on the National Peace Corps Association's Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/pcorpsconnect)!

When you have a chance, check out our new website at http://www.peacecorpsconnect.org and sign onto the social networking area, Connected Peace Corps. It's a great way to interact with members of the Peace Corps Community. Family and friends of Peace Corps are welcome too!

Cheers,

Erica

odile said...

Hi Sara,
Thinking about you! I hope that you feel better.
I went to Syria when I was 16 and again when I was 20 (1 month each). I was sick both times 3 days out of 5. your blog is bringing memories.
I am happy it is nothing serious. Hang in there. Your body will get used to the "local" germs.. eventually.
Kisses
Odile

pazpromoter said...

Hey, Sara, hang in there! I hope you feel better soon! Later on, these times will make your best stories. (Well, at least good when around other RPCVs, the general public never seems to appreciate them!) :) Abrazos,
Rebecca

NoraBee said...

Hang in there. One of the benefits of Peace Corps is that you collect sick stories to tell to people in the future. And they are usually pretty funny, in the future.