Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pest control

Since it´s the rainy season here, bugs are multiplying rapidly including mosquitos. Dengue fever and malaria are endemic here as is vigilance against the diseases. There have been no cases of dengue in La Cruz and few cases of malaria. This Peace Corps volunteer is faithfully taking her anti-malaria medicine. The health post people are busy going door to door looking for standing water that is not covered, cleaning water tanks and putting some chemical in them that kills the larvae of mosquitos (only if they find larva). Saturday, the health clinic is closed while all the personnel go house to house on this campaign.

The other part of this battle is waged with pesticides. Last night as my English class was ending, I heard a horrible racket in the neighborhood. The door to door pesticide men were out in full force with portable machines that fog homes. Houses all over the neighborhood were emitting clouds of pesticides, the kids were running through the clouds shrieking and I was unglued. I´ve had all of 2 mosquito bites in my time here as the ocean breezes keep the mosquitos at bay in La Cruz. Today the pesticide crew was in my barrio and I stood at my door like a cross cat to make sure they didn´t fog my little house.

Rain last night and my roof leaked with drops on my bed. I was so tired that I put a washbasin on the bed under the drip and went back to sleep. Today my host brothers are mobilizing to patch the roof. And as I went house to house doing interviews today, I was very aware that my living space is luxurious for a single person here. I have a cement floor, cement walls and lots of space. My water tank lasts for 4 days if I am careful. Who could ask for more!

3 comments:

Ken said...

Now that sounds like reasonable living quarters, "a room of one's own," as Virginia Woolf put it. Even if it leaks, what a vast improvement. You have to endure pesticides, but probably not Valentine's Day! (just kidding, Sarina).

Ken

Susie said...

Oh gosh...I remember when that used to happen regularly on the base in New Jersey in the 60's....big trucks would fog the streets to get rid of mosquitos and other bugs. At that time, we thought nothing of it!

So glad you stood guard over your precious new quarters...a scene I would like to have witnessed!
Susie

Unknown said...

Yes, mosquito is very dangerous insect that can transmits disease from and to people, i am here to share how to prevent mosquito effectively:

Prevent yourself from mosquito’s bite
* Wear long sleeved shirt, long pants, socks and shoes before going out at night for long period or when mosquitoes are most active.
* Avoid outdoor activity during mosquito active time.
* Use natural plant oil mosquito repellents such as citronelle, eucaplyptus, neem, peppermint, jojoba and tea tree oil. These are recommended especially for children and baby.

Tips to reduce mosquitoes in and around your home
* Change water in the jars, pots, flower pots every week and wash thoroughly before filling the new water.
* Cover trash container to keep out of rain.
* Check house’s roof and clean when necessary once a week.
* Sweep your car park/ yard after rained to free of puddles.
* Get rid of old tires, cans, drums, bottles or easy water holding container.
* Ensure all windows and doors are properly screened.