Friday, February 6, 2009

Talking with pregnant women


So aside from learning how to live in this totally new environment, what am I doing here? Well, our first priority is to do a community diagnostic including house to house interviews along with assessment of the strengths and weakness of the area. This is a good thing because my first impulse like most people is to plunge in trying to “fix” things that look obviously broken. But as time goes by, I get more of a sense of the complexity and community priorities.

The house to house interviews are amazing. People are used to the health post staff going door to door doing inspections for standing water where mosquitoes breed and giving vaccines. The community does not have a radio, newspaper or loudspeakers (thank goodness) so door to door is the way to reach people. I go out with the health post staff and after some initial hesitation the families welcome me into their house. Generally everyone in the house gathers to watch, listen and comment. The health staff helps when people don’t understand me which happens less frequently now than a month ago. This month I’ll start data entry so I can do an analysis which means I’ll be face to face with an old enemy, the Excel spreadsheet.

I am also at the health clinic 3 mornings a week to talk with pregnant women about nutrition and breastfeeding. Occasionally I encounter women who rarely eat fruit or vegetables and have no idea why they should. And then there was the woman who ate lots of both including making fresh beet/orange juice every day. The vegetables here are limited and unvaried. Many people consider yucca and potatoes to be vegetables. I’m still trying to get one of the merchants to bring in beet greens but they are fed to the pigs and folks think this gringa is crazy.

Of course talking with pregnant women is something I love. I’m also talking with the midwives about ways I can help them including teaching childbirth preparation classes hopefully in March. I’ve been greatly supported in this by educational materials in Spanish from nurse friends at home.

Muchas Gracias a todas!!

The woman in the photo is in my family and is standing on the front porch. And good news, my bed is being moved into my new house this evening. Not all the work is done but the tiny bedroom is painted and clean!!!

Sarita

1 comment:

Ken said...

A new casa! Congratulations, a little closer on the continuum toward peace and quiet. I like the concept of sitting down and talking with people, without being pressed for time, as I am most of my day. It isn't the most efficient way I suppose, but must be meaningful for all involved. Your spanish must be getting better, too.

Ken