Monday, September 8, 2008

Ready or not!

Well, I leave for Washington DC tomorrow and think I'm actually ready. Brian, you really are right, the devil is in the details (and I've been deviled by details). I took my packed luggage to the airport today to see how close I was to the weight limit and only had to do a bit of juggling. The large rolling duffel came in at 51.5 pounds and my backpack at 34. I don't want to talk about the daypack... And left behind books to be mailed later. Left behind the good coop peanut butter.

Last night I packed the big duffel, wrestled everything in place and then realized my yoga mat was sitting out in the corner of the room. Everything came out again to make room for that mat!

I've shed a lot of tears saying goodbye. And I'm very excited. While I'm a little nervous about my Spanish, about keeping up with the pace of training and about all the adaptation, I haven't once waked up and thought, "Oh no, this is a mistake!"

I fly to Washington DC tomorrow for a night and morning with Jen, Alex and Jeff. Then on Wednesday at noon, Jen will take me to the hotel in Washington DC where I begin this journey. We have 2 days of orientation (and probably immunizations) and fly to Peru on Friday the 12th.

Thank you to all who have lent many hands to helping me get ready for this journey. It's taken a village to launch this Peace Corps volunteer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We are proud of you!! I don't think we can mail you peanut butter though - too bad.

Julia said...

Gulp... big lump in my throat as I read this. The O'Donnell's love you and wish you the best of luck. Be strong!

Greg said...

I'm really impressed that you're off to Peru Sara. I'll be interested in seeing this page unfold over time. I'm certain that you're going to make a difference in this world.

Greg

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait to see pictures! Buen Viaje!