Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tomorrow--Peru!

Well, I just finished 2 days orientation in Washington DC and am ready to head out tomorrow. I was a bit taken aback when I walked in and realized that there are 46 volunteers about 40 years younger than me--total of 47 in our group. After the 2 days together with lots of activity, laughter and information, I'm not worried about being left out. Lots of good people with some interested in yoga, some music makers, varied backgrounds as you'd expect.

It was hard saying goodbye to Alex who announced to his school, "This is my grandma and she's going to Peru!" The day before he asked what state Meru is in. He instructed me on the cool stickers to get when I get shots. I'll be connected to his school through a correspondence match as well as connected to Lily's first grade at Nuestro Mundo in Madison.

So tomorrow morning we have to have our luggage ready to load up at 6:15 and fly out of DC for Peru at 1PM. I'll be at a retreat center in Lima for 2 nights with more orientation and then meet my host family on Sunday. Sometime on Saturday, I'll have a Spanish interview. Gulp. Say a little prayer for me--preferably in Spanish.

Adios
Sara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two comments.

First, anyone who knows my mom would have been thrilled to see her as she readied herself to fly off to Lima. She looks as fresh and excited and full of life as I have ever seen her.

And second, Peru had better be very good to her. She is not just any mom--she is the best mom, and we will miss her!

Unknown said...

Well, after learning that I have to have a gmail account, I can now post messages...have written several comments and couldn't figure out how to get them on this site! Duh!

Can't wait to read each of the blog entries, Sara...they are already such fun. And I have forwarded them to my family members and a couple of our cousins.

Meanwhile, the Seattle house is full of boxes with green stickers going to Arizona and boxes with hot pink stickers going to storage and the other Williams sister is getting a move on, also...not nearly as wildly adventuresome, but a big move and big downsize!

Remember to breathe. xxoo Susie