Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day 1 in Peru

Well with flight delays we arrived in Lima around 10:30PM, got through customs, got the luggage for 47 people and arrived at the retreat center where we are for 2 nights at 1AM. Actually, all went well. The Peace Corps staff who met us were really helpful and welcoming.

We started orientation today after 5 hours sleep under the Peace Corps motto "hit the ground running". Tomorrow we meet our host families and move in with them. I had my first language assessment which was taped and am competing for the most improved volunteer award at the end of 11 weeks. Our orientation is really well organized and the staff here are great. Lots of good people and laughter in my volunteer group.

I'll learn on 11-8 where I'll be working and living although we will all be in coastal provinces. The health director is a nurse with her masters in public health, Emilia.

Many thanks to Mary, Sarah V and Nancy that I didn't walk out of my language interview in tears, especially since I barely could remember English I was so tired! We'll learn tomorrow or Monday which language class we're in but I already know I'll be in the most basic and learning fast.

Don't worry if you don{t hear from me much for awhile. I'm alive, well and cheerful.
Lots to learn. New food, cold showers, new bird calls. There was a llama hanging around on the porch of the retreat center today. Several yoga practitioners and more who want to learn in this group. Two guys brought guitars and another brought harmonicas so there's music in store while we're in training. I spend 1/2 hour struggling to use the keyboard in an internet cafe and then learned we have wireless connection in our rooms at this center.

Good start to the journey.

No comments: