Monday, September 22, 2008

Wow!

Well this will be short because this woman is tired. We are in class 6 days a week and I get extra tutoring 3 days a week in Spanish. I encountered Lima on Saturday, walked all day, had some terrific ice cream in a fruit flavor called lucumba. I´ve also had a cold, sore throat and have cellulitis in one leg from infected mosquito bites so I was home on Sunday with my leg up. We get terrific health care so I¨m not worried, just tired.

And now can barely spell in English because I´m working so hard in Spanish all the time. Great people in my group, free spirits all. I now ride the combis by myself and holler at the drivers when they miss my stop. They holler at me for getting off too slow. My host sister and brother are working with me on homework, calling out numbers to add, subtract, divide or multiply so I can learn to hear numbers.

Love your comments and appreciate the cheering section. This is more work than starting a new clinic!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola Sara!
helen gave me the blog...i'm enjoying reading about your daily adventures....sounds a little like mine in Guatemala. I am jealous of your language learning opportunity but I know how overwhelming it can feel. I spent 2 weeks in Peru in August....can't wait to hear about it...someone told me there is a Peruvian law that you have to breastfeed your newborn...can you find out if that's true?
Que le vaya bien!
nancy comello

Ken said...

Hi Sara, I remember really enjoying the focus of learning spanish, but I also remember how exhausting it was. I welcomed the opportunity to focus, as I'm sure you do. Here, there doesn't seem to be much focus on the national scene: war, tumultuous economy, candidate "debates." Michelle Obama was spoke in Madison yesterday. All in all, you picked a good time to fly off.

Ken

Unknown said...

Hi Sara
It was great to get your e-mail and your updated blog yesterday. Life is moving at the speed of sound, isn't it! And in your case, the sound is all in Spanish.I hope your cellulitis is well healed by now.

I am back in Seattle...packers here tomorrow/movers Thursday/house cleaned Friday/junk hauled Saturday/closing on Tuesday. The house in Arizona is framed...and is sooooo small...I'm taking way too much stuff down there.

Today I went to Miriam's dance class before I left Tucson...she in her little pink tutu and tights with a tiny pony tail...trying to make all the right moves or if not, making up her own moves. She is so musical and limber...and as tall if not taller than all the four-year olds in her class. It was fun to see her in action.

We are all enjoying your blog...and occasionally I'm forwarding some things to my friend Michael who was the curriculum developer for orientation many years ago in the Peace Corps. I'm sure he's enjoying hearing about the successful adult learning techniques.

Hang in there girl....XO

Marilyn said...

Sara: I've finally checked in -- and it sounds like you are doing well -- and that they are taking good care of you. And, it must be nice to be removed from all of the garbage happening here now. Stay well, and keep writing. I'll try to vote for Obama twice. Cheers, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hola Tía Sara!

I'm so glad to read that you are actually enjoying this and that they are taking good care of you! It sounds like you have a very busy agenda; many Spanish classes and tutoring among the other stuff that you ought to do. But I am excited about the fact that you're going to get the best out of this.

Ahora vamos a poder intercambiar "emails" en español; si necesitas ayuda con la gramática pues con mucho gusto te podría proveer con la ayuda.

Best wishes to you Tia Sara.
XOXOXO,
~Shawn