Saturday, January 10, 2009

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore


Another photo of the little guy who provides a lot of comic relief! He's stuffed with balloons!

Every day brings surprises! Today I went to the clinic expecting to do nutrition counseling with pregnant women but they weren’t seeing patients. The clinic was closed for a ceremony honoring the purchase of new equipment. The staff, the board of directors and various others were gathered in the tiny waiting room and after an hour or so, they started with introductory words. By now I also know that introductory words are given by a number or people and are not brief! Then the new equipment was blessed with sprinkling water and prayers after which we all got a small glass of champagne and toasted. After that we were served gaseosa (soda) and cookies. Then the list of new equipment was read including a new computer, a photocopy machine, new chairs, new blood pressure equipment, a machine for measuring oxygen levels and a Doppler for listening to fetuses (the first for this clinic). If I understood correctly, some of the money for this came from the US oil company that wants to drill for oil off the coast of La Cruz. They are courting the town.
And for the first time since I came here, I saw a nurse wash her hands with soap and water from a plastic bucket. So I watch the paradox of this clinic with expensive new equipment and no running water.
I’m also learning why the more experienced volunteers told us to take a book to every meeting. Punctuality almost unknown here so something to read or work on is helpful. At the same time, many meetings just don’t happen. I think I’ve had about 5 meetings scheduled this week where no one showed up. Then last night when I was at the internet cabina, the sister of a community leader showed up looking for me and took me to her brother’s house where we proceeded to get the work done that had been planned earlier in the week when he hadn’t shown up.
After the morning clinic ceremony, I asked the president of the board of directors for a few minutes time thinking I’d introduce myself and explain my goals. That turned into a full board meeting with the doctor who is head of the clinic. The meeting was pretty much a disaster as they spoke to rapidly for me to understand much except that the man in this group had the idea that I’d write grant letters to organizations in the US and bring in lots of money. I dodged this by saying I didn’t understand him (generally true) and that he’d have to talk to my director when she visits the end of February.
After which I wandered home on a blistering hot day for hot chicken soup, fresh orange juice and a lovely fruit called cerdwela (undoubtedly spelled wrong). When I woke, I took a bucket bath and then suddenly was involved in a television interview in support of a Peruvian NGO that is starting garbage and recycling project here. I knew this was coming sometime…but as I traipsed through the house wrapped in a towel, they appeared. So I quickly got into clothes and said my few words in front of a camera on the beach.
Like I said, I never know what to expect.

11 comments:

Lori said...

Sara - SO I guess the meetings at Meriter weren't so bad afterall!!I'll say your days are unpredictable. Did you see my comment on your post from 1/8? I think you can eamil me in response to my comments. Hope to hear from you. Lori

Sara said...

Lori
I can't figure out how to e-mail from the blog but I have seen your comments and am glad to hear from you!

Sara

pazpromoter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pazpromoter said...

On one of my first paseos through my little indigenous village, I showed up at this "older" woman's house--who I had never met before-- and she says excitedly, "Oh, you're here!" And I was like, umm, okay. And she goes in her little house and comes out with a scissors to have me cut her hair. The next day I helped her deliver her neighbor's baby. At one of my favorite meetings in town we spent 4 hours at a meeting just discussing the fact that the first of the month is not always a Monday. Ah, the Peace Corps, I miss it! At least when I had to sit for hours waiting for people, meetings, etc, I had a pretty view. Now when I go to horribly boring meetings I picture my Panamanian mountains.

Larry P. said...

What a fascinating culture. Thanks for all the descriptions. That makes it so much easier to be a world citizen. The garbage project sounds real good.

Hope you're being real assertive about a quiet bedroom. And that you take time away while you're waiting. Gives you more patience for all the missed appointments!

Your little boy is really cute.

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Sara -
My email is hughezmail@yahoo.com

Barb said...

Sara

What a cute picture. We're here with 50 inches of snow and sub zero temps so I hope you are not too homesick. Paul and Julia agreed that I wouldn't last 48 hrs if I was trying to do what you are doing...(actually I think Julia voted for 24 hrs). Kudos to you and warm wishes for a great New Year.

Barb

Anonymous said...

Hola Tía Sara!

Feliz Año Nuevo! Parece que tienes tremenda aventura! La foto del niño es muy graciosa, me recuerda de mis sobrinitos en Puerto Rico. Espero que la estés pasando bien por allá y sigue hacia adelante que con perseverancia se llega a la meta.

Te quiero mucho!

odile said...

Hi Sara,
I just love the picture of the little guy. i remember doing the same thing with clementines and my mom's dress and shoes. So far Miriam has not done that.
Still looking for a job. Jumping through hoops in a totally disorganized community college.
Kisses
Odile

I'm you or the old you said...

I can see where your frustrations may arise, it certainly is true you have an amazing view while waiting. I hope using the down time doing other things doesn't discourage. I am sending out to you tommorow Friday 1/16/08 some children's books in Spanish from the YWCA. They are totally new and Sean thought the Feliz Cumpleanos Tomas for Thomas the train is his favorite!
We will take lots of pictures next week when we visit everyone in D.C.
I'll post in Facebook.
-Sara