Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inauguration day in Peru


What a day! I was in Piura following a regional Peace Corps meeting so I had the great luxury of my own room in a hostel with a flush toilet and shower! The morning of the inauguration, I woke early, turned on CNN to see the crowds gathering in Washington DC and tears started flowing. I knew that Jenni, Sean, Jeff and Sara were getting ready to join the crowds so I felt the pull to be with them as well as the thrill of watching this momentous change in our government. I headed out for tea at a shop with a wide screen TV showing the proceedings.

Then around 11 AM, the Peace Corps volunteers present from Piura and Tumbes gathered the restaurant of a posh hotel where there was a wide screen TV so we could watch together with lots of cheers and tears. At the end we all stood and sang the national anthem along with the millions watching in DC and via television. And then we went to a restaurant where I had a salad with organic lettuce and Roquefort cheese! Afterward, I thought back over all the events of the civil rights era starting for me with passionate arguments with my Dad in the late 1950’s as we watched the initial efforts to integrate southern schools via national news. I thought about watching Sean grapple with racism as he grew into a young man and his fear that Obama wouldn’t win the election. And of all the conversations with Peruvians about the symbolism of this election as well as their hope that Obama will bring about change that will benefit other nations in the world. No question, we all hold our heads a little higher now!

The next day, home to Tumbes where the rains come in the night accompanied by thunder and lightning. The air is always humid now, mud is everywhere and clothes don’t dry for days. Sometimes mid-day, I literally drip with sweat until the late afternoon when a bucket bath revives me. Many trees and bushes are in bloom with vibrant color. I’ve been watching the houses where gardeners live, tending their flowers through the dry hot times of the year. On every street there’s at least one gardener. And in the rice fields, they are planting a new crop that glows bright green.

2 comments:

Susie said...

hola Sara:

I have been waiting for this entry to your blog....knowing that the change of government meant so much in Peru as it did here. Just so you know, I think tears were shed everyplace during the inauguration. I particularly loved Aretha Franklin's rendition of "America" AND HER HAT :)) And of course, Obama's speech. Did you know that the musical number played by YoYo Ma and the group was pre-recorded and they "lip synced" the music...because it was too cold for the instruments to perform well outdoors. A little known factoid!
XO Susie

Ken said...

I bet it was more impressive watching from Peru. I was working during the day, but caught some of the highlights on the radio on the way home. It still strikes everyone from time to time that this really happened. I bet that will be the case for years to come.

I remember watching the events of 9/11 at the clinic on Willie ST. We rolled the TV into the waiting room.

Glad you were all able to gather for it.

Ken