Thursday, January 8, 2009

Conversations about the US

I can’t count the number of questions I get everyday just walking down the street and usually the same over and over. Today, I was sitting with my host brother Osvaldo looking at a book of pictures of Wisconsin. I thought he was going to melt when he saw a picture of a dairy farm and asked if I would ship him one of those cows. Or adopt him when I return to the US. So this is how the questions went today.
Sarita, you love your country don’t you?
Yes, I really do.
But your country dominates the whole world.
I know that and it’s not ok however I also love many things about the US.
You love the land.
I love the land and the people.
But not the politics.
Well, actually I like a lot of the laws and politics but like all countries, we have problems.
Yes, you have racists.
Every country has racists. If you woke up tomorrow and found that 500 people of another culture, race and language were living in La Cruz, you’d be frightened and see racism appear here. Right now, I’m the only gringa in town so you don’t see many people of other countries.
Hmm, you’re probably right about that. Your country doesn’t have petrol and takes our oil but we don’t get the money from it because it’s US companies that take the oil.
I didn’t answer that question because it’s painfully obvious here watching fish, shrimp and calamari unloaded from old boats ever day, often brought to shore on what are called launches, utterly rickety log rafts poled in with tubs of fish aboard. And the flares from the oil rigs that light up the evening sky while the town doesn’t have a decent water system.
Another frequent question revolves around the idea that there aren’t poor people in the US. And comparatively speaking the poverty here is severe with bare shelter and malnutrition rampant but it would be unheard of to see people sleeping in the streets. Social support systems are scarce however families help each other out, take each other in a safety net that is pretty tight like it or not!
And of course, many questions about Obama who is seen as someone who will bring about positive change as well as a victory against racism.

5 comments:

Ann said...

I love the comments and questions about the USA, I am in Romania in the PC and I hear the same.

Susie said...

Sara, that was an amazing conversation. It would take SO LITTLE for the oil company that is lighting up the beach with its rig, to come in and help the people set up a water system...so little...and what a difference it would make for that little village. Seems to me that is the kind of "goodwill" effort that US companies could make to change the world, little by little. I think of Three Cups of Tea and know that it is possible.

Lori said...

Sara - this is Lori Hughes. I am sorry I missed your going away party and I never learned until last week that you are in Peru. I was with the other Sara and she gave me your blogspot. I have so enjoyed reading about your adventure. You are awesome. I am sending your blogspot to my daughter Ashley who has been studying in Lima since Aug. I can't believe you were there too. Right now she is in Cuzco, then will be in Puno and Arequipa and Mancora. Isn't Mancora near you? It would be so awesome if you could meet up. She and her friend are looking for some volunteer opportunities too along the way. She is in Peru until Feb. 26. I hope she would have the pleasure of meeting you. All the best to you. Lori

Sue said...

Sara,
Thank you so much for this blog. Bill and I are avid readers, and look forward to each new chapter.
Your experience is giving us a vastly renewed appreciation for all that we have, especially running water!
You are amazing!
Cheers to you,
Sue and Bill

Laura Berger said...

Sara, I just want you to know that I'm another fan and am engrossed by your accounts of daily life in Peru. I think how would I cope with the noise and lack of sleep? I'd be inclined to agree with most of your host family's comments, but you reminded me of all that we take for granted that are part of this country. Most systems actually function - mail, schools, garbage pickup, etc. Laura Berger