Friday, October 24, 2008

Week 6 of Peace Corps training

Time is flying very fast. It´s hard to believe that I´m halfway through training and that very soon, I´ll be moving to my work site for 2 years. Tomorrow evening at 7PM, I get on a bus for a LONG ride to Piura City followed by another long ride to the pueblo of Sicches in Piura. I´ll be there for a week of field based training with other volunteers. We´re scheduled to learn latine building, teach some short classes in schools and meet with volunteers who are working in the community. We´ll be sleeping on floors (and the bus, did I say this is a LONG bus ride?) and getting a sense of the life in rural communities.

I´m pretty excited about seeing the mountains as it looks like we´ll be at about 9000 feet part of the time. I think we´re all excited about seeing the hands on work and seeing more of the countryside. The area we are in is truly desert, I´ve never seen terrain as dry. I read (while doing homework) that this coastal desert is 50 times more dry than Death Valley in California. I believe it as there is no vegetation on the hills, my family only has a roof over some of the rooms and there´s not been one drop of rain in my time here.

So now, I´m headed off to a neighboring town to find a large sun hat and generous supply of mosquito dope. Then home to pack the necessities for travel. Tomorrow I´ll be going with my host family to my host mom´s high school reunion before heading to the bus station. Every day is full and busy so I sleep like a rock with ear plugs in because I need to block out the chorus of dogs that sings through the night.

Now that I´m over the high of advancing two levels in Spanish, I realize how much I have to learn and want to take my language teacher with me when I leave the training center. My skills are so basic for living on my own!

So, google Sicches in Piura, Peru and you´ll see where I´m spending next week. I expect to be out of touch until I return on 11/2. My vote went in by absentee ballot and I´m anxiously watching to see the election returns.

Cheers
Sara

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful, Sara! You're going to be surrounded by peaks. When I googled it, I found an organic farm in Sicches where people can do volunteer work. Congratulations on getting this far - you're about to go a lot farther!
Always thinking of you.
Love,
Sara

edward said...

Hi Sara..........I am sending this along with an email too in hopes that, one, both get to you. I enjoy reading your blog....what a treasure that will be for you by the time you finish this experiece....a built in diary!! I'll bet you are glad to see the mountains and enjoy maybe a cooler environment for a while. It sounds like you are incredibly busy in training--I remember being busy during my Peace Corps training but not that busy!! I suspect things will settle down once you reach your assignment location. All is going well here. Going into Billings tonight to listen to a band play at a bar that we may hire for the wedding--June 27th. Barb is off visiting a friend in California. I am trying to not get so emotionally tied up in all the election hype but it is hard being the poliltical junkie I am........I am happy you are doing well my dear......I love you and miss you.......edward

Unknown said...

Sara - Congratulations on your Spanish progress! Things overall sound better than they did when you emailed me early in your stay.
I'll email you in the next couple days.
It's great to read your blog. I'll pass the address along to Noemi and others at PHMDC who are interested in how you're doing and where you're doing it.
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Sara -- I smiled all the time I was reading your entries. I am hearing that you are well loved. As, of course, you are...

Sara, the Adventurer...you continue to inspire. Fondly, jan

Mica said...

Hi Sara Larry sent me your blog.I hope somebody gave you a nice massage after your shaking busride!
Much love
Mica