Friday, October 17, 2008

Some days are diamonds and some days are stones

At the end of week 5, this is one tired woman. And I woke this morning with my back in pain so I´m slow moving today. I was attributing my fatigue to my 65 years when I talked with two volunteers in their early 20´s at lunch and learned that we´re all pretty beat. This is intense training and adjustment, lots of folks with diarrhea and lots of homework. So I took a break from classes and slept 2 hours on the cot in the little infimary. Ah, sleep mends a lot! When I get home, the yoga mat comes out!

I learned yesterday where I will be going for a week of field based training starting a week from Sunday. With 3 other volunteers and one of our trainers, I´ll be going to the way north of the state of Piura, close to the border of Equador. We´ll be in the mountains at about 3000 meters which translates to about 9000 feet. I´m pretty excited even with a 17 hour bus ride to get there. I´ll not be on the internet that week! Probably be helping build latrines, sleeping on the floor of a host family and eating more entirely new food. One of the volunteers who´s been here a year said something I keep in mind, ¨The way to their heart is through my stomach¨. My host mom has learned not to put a mountain of rice on my plate but in a new setting, it´s eat, eat, eat. I´ve lost weight here though because I really walk a lot.

Tomorrow night at midnight begins the quinceneros celebration of my host sister. My house is really busy with preparations. I got out my 1 good dress to wear for this all night affair. My family wants to see me dancing even though I´ve told them my dancing is worse than my Spanish. I´m helping with some of the cooking and will try to get to a neighoring market town to find an appropriate gift. I´m also taking the photos for this and they´ll be able to send them to a grandmother in Argentina online.

I love reading your comments, thanks for the cheering section!

Sarita

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sara: We've been on vacation, but I'm catching up with you now. You sound like you are adjusting well, all things considered -- it took me two or three months to feel like I was home. Here, of course, we're anxiously awaiting the election, and that seems to be the total focus, as though wishing would make it so.... Hang in there. Marilyn

Larry P. said...

Sara,

Please send a quick note to let me know if you have gotten my e-mails.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
My vision of you on the mountain top is coming true! Can't wait to here more about the quinceneros celebration!
Sara D.