Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Never a dull day

First, I want to say how much I appreciate the comments you leave on my blog. I feel like I have a cheering section out there across the wires.

What a week and tomorrow is Thursday. I had a bad day on Monday, melted down crying in language tutorial at the first correction. When I came home, yelled at the kids in my house and went into my room to do homework with earplugs in. So the windows start to rattle and the floor is shaking. I went outside where my 8 year old host brother, Nicholas looked at me calmly and said, "tremblor" which roughly translates to earthshake. The couple across the road were necking in front of their house so I figured I wasn´t going to die.

Then yesterday evening I went to a birthday party for one of the other volunteers. Drinking and dancing with with my companions in this adventure. It was a t-shirt graffiti party and I´ll leave the rest to your imagination.

Today in the combi on the way to the training center for a language evaluation, an old drunk man sat beside me patting my arm and a little more, calling me mamita and mamacita. I managed to put up a barrier between his arm and my boob until I got to my stop.

The language interview went well from my perspective. I hope I´ll advance a level. Then this evening another volunteer and I went to a nearby town to eat dinner and go to a Hari Krishna temple (the only one in Peru) which was very beautiful. So I actually chanted Kirtan here in Peru. And the teacher gave a talk in Spanish which I mostly understood. Afterward, one of the men there invited us to sit with him and talk awhile. Gave us an excellent lesson in pronunciation. And then in the smallest of small worlds, I found out he is from Puna at the south of Peru and knows the classmate of my friend Don Shmaus who has worked in Puna for many years.

So here I am in an internet cafe, wearing a lei from the temple and catching up with my friends. Had a good cup of coffee today, got to wash my underwear in a bucket and had a nap. Doesn´t get any better than that.

Cheers
Sarita

3 comments:

Julia said...

Wow,Sara! I am tired just reading that one. Hang in there. I miss you lots and am so glad you are keeping up with this blog. I am hoping to do yoga with Iris this weekend thanks to you.

odile said...

Hi Sara,
I have to say, it does seem like your days are full. Any results from your language interview yet?
I am passing my naturalization exam on Oct 20th. I hope everything goes well, and that I get the citizenship right away. I WANT TO VOTE for this coming election ...;)
Kisses
Odile

Anonymous said...

Hola Sara!
This one especially made me laugh! - a good cup of coffee, clean underwear and a nap. These are the only essentials when one is truly happy, as you seem to be. Your comment about learning how to take a cold bucket shower reminded me of my dilemma volunteering in a remote Nepalese village where the only "bath" in town was also the public water pump. The people bathe around the pump - with their clothes on. That was tricky! Glad you're having so much fun with it all. Wish I could come for a day and visit!
Love,
Sara D.