Friday, October 10, 2008

Life is good!

Yep, yours truly advanced 2 Spanish levels this month. We got our exam results today and I kept looking at mine over and over in disbelief. I´m now at mid intermediate which is the level needed for a field placement. I certainly have a hell of a lot to learn but today I´m on Cloud 9!!!!!!!!!!

And my host dad sent hamburger and VEGETABLES in my lunch with no rice or potatoes. Now if we just had water in the house so I could take a shower... I´m going to get gifts of food for my host family tomorrow because they are such a big part of my language learning. My host mom had told me I´d advanced 2 levels but I didn´t believer her and told her she was nuts.

I just finished an hour yoga class on the very dirty floor of the training center and looked around amazed that I´m really in Peru, learning Spanish, making new friends and beginning to look forward to field placement. We have 2 more weeks in the training center and then go to observe other volunteers in their sites for a week. Time is flying by. We´re beginining to plan a party for our host families for Thanksgiving day. Shortly after that we get sworn in and leave for our sites.

My family is having a quinceneros celebration for Milagros next weekend. They´ve warned me that it will be a big all night bash. I have a cooking assignment which is basically some kind of finger sandwiches for about 200 people. I got out of baking the cake by telling them about the disasterous cake I baked for Kirsten and Ron´s wedding that went into a landslide and landed on the floor in the reception hall.

Cheers from Peru!

5 comments:

NoraBee said...

congrats! may it just keep getting easy and better.

Unknown said...

Sara: Congratulations on your language improvement! Bravo!! Nothing like immersion and the need to survive to propel you forward, eh?

You must feel very pleased with yourself...and your cheering sections are all very proud and in awe of what you are doing!

I am in Ashland right now...just came home from a night seeing A View From the Bridge by Arthur Miller...done in particular during this season to juxtapose the current immigration dilemmas with those that he wrote about in the 50s for this play. High drama, fabulous production, and I'm still spinning from it. Paul is here, Patty and ERic were here last night and for breakfast this morning. Two more plays tomorrow and then we are off to Sacramento.

Hang in there...keep old men's hands at bay and maintain that wonderful sense of humor. Love, Susie

Ken said...

Hi Sara, great to hear about your progress. You can't help but learn in such a setting.

When in Mexico, the doctor I worked with invited me to a Quinceniera, and I figured we'd be gone for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We returned 2 days later. You'll get a lot of spanish practice that night.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you tía Sara!

Ahora que ya estás en nivel 2 de español, se me hace más fácil escribirte y así de vez tienes práctica.

Oh yeah! Get ready for that Quinceañero (we say it in the masculine form in Puerto Rico, don't ask why). Quinceañeros involve a lot, and I mean a lot, of dancing, drinking, and most important eating!

Me alegra mucho saber que tu familia peruana te apoya mucho. Eso es muy importante y de mucha ayuda cuando estas en tierras extranjeras.

Mejores deseos para ti!
~Shawn

edward said...

for you and you are off to a great start--congratulations!! All is going well here. Wedding date is June 27th--will be in a small church in Absarokee and the reception will be at Montana Hannas.......how great it would be if you were there!! I love Hey Sara....been away from the cabin for about 3 weeks and don't have your blog site in Powell--I wrote it down now though. Huge snowstorm here--well over three feet--Barb and I were stranded at the cabin for the weekend--how sweet is that!! We are sending you a snail mail letter--hope it gets through. I too am very excited about your language growth--wow--. It appears as though you have just really settled into your new life in Peru and your host family seems soooooo supportive. Life seems very good and interesting you Sara..........and, i miss you too........edward