Friday, November 21, 2008

Week 11 of Peace Corps training

Yep, I´m ready to move to Tumbes and begin my next 2 years of life and work. I do appreciate the training program, especially the terrific language teachers and at the same time being on a tight schedule day after day has grown old. Every since I came back from my site visit, I´ve been very tired but that 22 hour bus ride might have something to do with it. This next week we have a party for our host families, lots of administrative details, a formal swearing in ceremony and then on the bus to our sites (after a night of partying).

In the 11 weeks of training, I´ve learned so much both in the center and from my host family. I´m a long ways from Spanish fluency but also a long way from where I was on September 12. I´ve learned to ride the damn combi´s, haven´t gotten diarrhea, learned to eat rice day after day and had a great time generally. I´m on this journey with 47 adventurous Peace Corps volunteers who I´ve grown to love in a very short period of time. There will be tears shed when we head out in different directions...

I´ve had few down times, generally related to fatigue or frustration. I´m also about 12 pounds lighter than when I came, stronger and more energetic. I´ve asked Sean and Sara to go to my house in Madison and dig out some summer clothes as it´s going to be hot,hot, hot in Tumbes. I gave my warm winter things to a volunteer who´s headed for the mountains since there are no sweat pants in my future for the next 2 years.

Cheers
Sara

No comments: