Friday, November 14, 2008

Looking for larvae

Wow. I could write a book every day but just hope to get enough on paper to remember this when I return to the US.

I spent the morning in a very poor neighborhood going door to door with the vigilantes for vectors from the health center. We went house to house while they looked for standing water, old tires with water in them, and water barrels without lids. They used flashlights to look for larva from the mosquitos that cause dengue fever. In one house they found an open water barrel full of algae and squirming larvae. They cleaned out the water and barrel, added some kind of chemical and gave instructions.

Never in my live have I seen poverty like this. I really am at a loss for words.

I've now met the principals of 3 schools, am scheduled to give an address to the entire school of 1300 including teachers and parents the day after I come back to La Cruz, have been to the community where I'm expected to work most, a very poor rural neighborhood of 300 houses. I've met so many people, have stumbled greatly with the language and watch as a mountain of expectations build all around me. I told my host mom at lunch that I'm not Mother Theresa. So I did the only sensible thing, ate lunch (fresh fried fish, lentils and rice)and napped in the hammock on the front porch.

I've learned I'm expected to work 6 days a week, half time in the rural neighborhood and half time with the obstetriz. That's going to include lunch with my family and a nap in the hammock mid day. Mid day, the folks in my host family sleep and watch TV. At 4 every day except Sunday, they gather for volleyball more faithfully than for church.

Speaking of which, I got roped into being presented to the priest and congregation Catholic tonight by one of the women at the health post. After which I learned that my host mom is Jehovah's Witness and can't enter the Catholic church. She told me I'd likely be shunned when they learn I'm not Catholic. Sounds like a blast. Tomorrow I go to Tumbes for the day and then get on a bus at 4 to return to Lima. Probably nonstop decompression with the other volunteers who've just met their sites and host families.

Did I say I still like this? It's true. Probably demented but true. Hope to get my host family to put a door on the bathroom before I return.

Cheers
Sara

6 comments:

I'm you or the old you said...

Sarita,
That name is usually reserved for me when my father says my name is not the (Sara) gringo, it's Sarita he says. I laughed when I read about the "sanquidos" if I spelled it right. They will get you and you never even saw them. Hence my thermal pants and top to bed. I see "Purpose in Peru" could hit the bookshelves in the future. I suppose I see the resemblence in Obama & Sean, no wonder they think you will be the next Mother Theresa. Lol. I hope you are taking pictures when you can. Stay healthy, you are in my prayers.

Larry P. said...

Sarita,

I can feel your excitement through your blog. La Cruz sounds both beautiful and tremendously challenging. I'm so glad your work is so hands on and directly helping. I may start calling you M.T. for short. I hope you are receiving as much as you are giving. I am still on a high about Obama. Still can't believe how his election has been a world wide phenomenon. I don't want to be too motherly, but be sure to get your rest. So glad to hear you are with many strong women.

edward said...

Hi Sara.........I am sending you an email note too. Do you have an internet cafe in the village where you have been assigned---how cool would that be??!! I am so happy to hear of all the wonderful things you are up to. Should we start calling you Mother Sara?? Did I tell you how much I miss you?? I think the Mother Theresa thing is accurate Sara as you have given so much to the world already......i know I have been so fortunate to have you in my life---did I mention how much I miss you.......Went hiking up Woodbine with Barb yesterday......a bit windy but still beautiful......I thought of you and the last hike we had there............till next time...........I love and miss you Sara..........edward

pazpromoter said...

I used to tell all the religions in my tiny village (jehova's witness, catholic & evangelical) that I needed to work with all of them and that if I didn't I could get in trouble with my boss, the US president or the Peace Corps Directora. I used to use that as an excuse for all sorts of things & it usually worked pretty well.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ken said...

That entry is crackling! I can just hear the motorcycles firing up out front and the blaring TV set. It would be nice to talk more about the election here, but the news cycle is on to the next thing. The latest New Yorker issue had a great summary of the campaigns, though I wonder how much news you see. I'll save it for you.