Thursday, November 13, 2008

La Cruz

Well, here I am in a tiny internet cafe next to my new home in La Cruz. What an incredible experience this is. I live 2 blocks from the beach with a HUGE family. There are only about 7 sleeping in the house but there is an enormous extended family in all the houses around me. I'll never get everyone straight. My first day here, I kept saying to myself, "you can do it, you can do it" because my room is on one side of the living room with a wall 3/4 way up. The music, tv and family activity are constant. There isn't running water, no refrigerator, no shower (bucket baths) and no quiet. Ok that's the down side and what the hell, this is the Peace Corps.

On the up side, I'm surrounded by strong women who are leaders in their community. My host mom must know everyone in this community and is president of an organization of leaders in a group that mediates conflicts. She's a natural leader who's worked to develop mother's clubs, preschools and goddes knows what else. She's awesome, is taking me around explaining Peace Corps, introducing me and giving me cues when I forget the ritual courtesies that are all important here.

I could write a book and may do so when I return but for now, I want to talk about how Obama has impacted people in Peru. I think I've met over 50 people in my short 2 days here and after about 5 minutes, every conversation turns to the election. You can't even imagine how much importance this election has for the US overseas. I have to say that again, YOU CANT IMAGINE HOW OBAMA'S ELECTION HAS IMPACTED PEOPLE IN PERU! Everyone wants to know who I voted for and how I feel. And on a side note, I brought pictures of my kids with me and everyone thinks Sean looks like Obama. People see is as a sign of hope and a victory against racism. Often people comment that he is a man of humility and compare him to Kennedy in his ability to inspire. This dominates every conversation with adults.j

Kids are another matter. I am surrounded by kids staring at the gringa. The children (grandchildren) in my host family took me to the beach yesterday to run in the water which is really warm. The adults thought it was hilarious when I came home with my slacks wet up to the thigh.

I've had to say goodbye to caution about food as I'm going to eat with this family for 2 years. Went to the market today with Silveria, my host mom and helped cook lunch. Said a prayer for my digestive tract after visiting the market. That said, the food was delicious, there are several fishermen in my family and they made sure I had fresh cerviche made with sailfish for lunch.

Wow, I could write a book... There's no question this is going to be hard work but right up my alley. My primary co-worker is a high energy obstetriz (midwife) along with the nurse in charge of the clinic who talks so fast I understand about 1/2 of what she says, The obstetriz is Gladys and the clinic nurse is Elke. Last night a young man came to the house to meet me, he works with a youth group and wants my help in giving charlas (talks) about safe sex, pregnancy, drugs, etc. Well, first I need to get up to speed in Spanish. I've been in meetings where I didn't understand a damn thing (unfortunately this includes my meeting with the mayor) but my one on one, I understand and am understood. I'm eating meals with my family and a dictionary.

Wow. More later. I am tired but after lunch the family put up a hammock on the front porch and ordered me to sleep! With motorcycles revving up, music blaring, kids hollering. If anyone knows how to do a laryngectomy on a rooster without killing the damn thing, please send me directions!

Sarita

1 comment:

Julia said...

Hey Sara! Paul and I just read your blog together. Paul is at war with google and is having trouble posting comments but will hopefully win the war soon. He sends his love. Your host mom sounds awesome, can't wait to hear more. Love you!