Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Water

I'm asked dozens of questions every day, most of them over and over again. Where am I from? Why am I here? How much did my camera cost? Where is my husband? What is my religion? How old am I? What are my health problems? Where are my children? Do I believe in God and Jesus? How much money did I make in the US? So I answer most of the questions except those about money which is too sensitive.

I often have been asked what I miss most which is my family and friends. Then I'm asked what food I miss and that is cheese since it's rare and almost nonexistant here in Tumbes where refrigeration is also rare.

However, I know have an answer to the question what do I miss most (except my loved ones). I MISS WATER!!!! Water is so scarce. My family gets 2 barrels a week for 7 people and last week there wasn't any water available. I bathed today with about 1 quart of water. I have almost a panicked sense of scarcity about water.

My host mom asked about water in the US and was totally blown away by learning that we can turn on a tap and have drinkable water. Here the water that does come from any source, tap, barrel or truck is not drinkable although many people do drink it and live with chronic diarrhea. Even the staff at the clinic are surprised to learn that we get as much water as we need from a tap and it's healthy to drink. The clinic doesn't have handwashing facilities that I've seen yet. The toilet in my house flushes when someone takes a bucket bath and uses the waste water to put down the toilet.

Did I say that I miss water?? And that today, I have my first attack of stomach cramps and diarrhea? So I've rested much, purchased a dresser for my clothes and now am going to relish the books Norma sent me 7 days ago which arrived fast and in good condition!

Cheers
Sara

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sara, Todd is over here helping me get set up so that I can read your blog and leave you comments! Take care!

pazpromoter said...

Hi, Sara, Your water entry brought up so many memories ("issues") :) I've been out of the Peace Corps for 5 years & I still have jugs of water in my refrigerator. Every empty bottle I want to fill with water & I have to force myself not to do it. And when I came back from the Peace Corps I spent about 3 weeks sitting in the bathtub. So, look forward to many years of water obsession! Abrazos,
Rebecca

Julia said...

I really really really appreicate my morning shower now more than ever!
The other night, while laying in bed with Grady, he said " mama, is Sara Williams home YET?"
Nice to know he was thinking about you as we all are.
xxoo